Sunday 13 January 2013

4 year old does parkrun!

Last Saturday (5th Jan) my 4 year old daughter had an aborted attempt at completing her first parkrun. For several reasons she managed to make it to half way before I left her with her mum. Only to find that on completing my run she had been really upset not to complete it herself.

This week my determined little 4 year old had a score to settle. She was not going to be defeated!

I am a little wary of taking a 4 year old on a 5km run. She did the sport relief mile last year as a 3 year old and she has done a mile and a half a few times, but 3.1 is another story. But, as I say, she is determined!

My approach is that as long as she doesn't end up complaining or unhappy then it should be ok.

The best news is that she had a smile on her face the whole time and never complained once of any aches and pains. Every time I asked her she was enjoying it.

Amazingly she never stopped running the whole way. I was expecting a run-walk but she ran the whole way, keeping a fairly consistent speed the entire time.

The only blip in the whole run was when she tripped and fell flat on her face with about 100 metres to go. But she was quickly up and back running again without complaint. Amazing.

She completed the run in 43:53, quicker than I had expected.

I am so proud of her!

It may have been the adrenaline, but when I asked her if she would do it again she replied "every time!".

Between my daughter and my 8 year old son I can't see many parkruns just for me for a while, but I have no problem with that at all. Sharing "my" parkrun with my kids is yet another amazing thing that parkrun has done for me. Long may it continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you and welcome all comments.